Preparing for Your Field Trip
Once you've scheduled a field trip to the North Carolina Botanical Garden, there are a few things to do to prepare for your visit. Doing these things will help make your visit go as smoothly as possible.
If you have not yet had your visit date confirmed by NCBG staff, please fill out our online field trip request form.
General Notes About Your Visit
All of our programs are outdoor programs that last about 60 minutes. Participants should dress for the weather and be aware that mosquitoes can be a problem.
- Arrive 10-15 minutes before your scheduled start time. If you arrive late, we may need to cut the program short to remain on schedule.
- Have your students pre-assigned to groups prior to your arrival. Guidelines on how to divide your group are found in the “About Your Program” section below.
- You will meet your guides at the gazebo at the scheduled start time. Please see the Parking Map for the location of the gazebo.
- Picnic tables are available on a first come, first served basis. Please see the Parking Map for the location of the picnic area.
- If you plan to walk on our Nature Trails, our self-guided Nature Trail Walk will help make your hike more engaging and enjoyable.
- Do not climb on any sculpture.
About Your Program
The links below give specific information about our on-site programs, including: Required group sizes, curriculum alignment, and pre-visit and extension activities.
- Herbal Adventures
- Flora Explorers
- Monarch's Journey
- From the Mountains to the Coast
- Native Plants, Native People
- Ecosystem Expeditions
- General Tours or Specific Topic Not Mentioned Above
Parking and Directions
For directions to the Garden, click on the map at the right of this page, or visit our Getting Here page. Buses can drop off the students at the passenger drop-off area, and then park in one of the designated bus parking spaces. Please see the Parking Map for the location of the drop off area and bus parking. Parents accompanying the group are strongly encouraged to ride the bus or carpool, as parking is limited and cannot be reserved.
We accept cash, check, or credit card payments. Payments can be made prior to or on the day of your visit with one exception. The $75 live animal supplemental fee associated with The Monarch's Journey program must be paid 3 weeks prior to your visit. Checks should be made payable to NCBG, and can be mailed to:
North Carolina Botanical Garden
c/o Natural Science Educator
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, NC 27599
If you need to cancel, please call 919-962-2887 as soon as possible. Refunds may not be given for cancellations less than 24 hours before the start of the program. If the program is cancelled due to weather, we will make every effort to reschedule it, or give you a refund.
Updated on August 20, 2014 at 10:03:21 am.