Nature Explorers Summer Camp
Registration begins Wednesday, Feb 1, 2017 at 9:00 AM and is exclusively online. Register early; space is limited!
- Camp Overview ↓
- Camp Descriptions ↓
- Registration Instructions ↓
- Scholarships ↓
- Teen Counselors-in-Training (CIT) ↓
"This is my son's hands-down favorite summer experience. The counselors are great and he loves the activities."
"It was just lovely. I've already raved to anyone who would listen about the great time my child had. We'll definitely be back next year!"
"It was an excellent program overall and beautiful way for children to get acquainted or reacquainted with nature"
Does your child love being outside and exploring nature? Are you looking for an exciting and enriching summer camp that features discovery-based learning, small group sizes (camper to staff ratio of 4:1), experienced educators, and loads of fun? Nature Explorers Summer Camp is for you! Our unique program is designed to:
- connect children to nature through direct experiences,
- foster respect and appreciation for the environment,
- cultivate a love for science-learning, and
- promote conservation ethics.
Kids discover the wonders of the native plants, animals, and habitats of North Carolina through hands-on outdoor exploration, games, stories, arts/crafts, and more. Camps take place on the grounds of our beautiful campus, featuring native plant gardens, nature trails, ponds and stream, and LEED-certified Education Center. All programs offer a balance of in-classroom learning and outdoor field experiences taught by experienced educators, certified in CPR/First Aid, and supported by teen volunteer Counselors-in-Training (CIT).
SENSING NATURE ages 4-5
June 12-16; 9am-12pm
June 19-23; 9am-12pm
June 26-30; 9am-12pm
Curious preschoolers will love this camp, designed to provide playful, hands-on experiences with the natural world in a small group setting. Young campers will take to the gardens and trails to watch for frogs, listen for birdsong, smell the flowers, touch slimy worms, and taste from the vegetable garden. A new theme will be introduced each day through nature walks, crafts, stories, puppet shows, and group play. Snack included. Each session has 10 campers. *You can only register your child for one week of this camp theme.
Fee: $135 ($120 members)
THINGS WITH WINGS ages 6-7
July 10-14; 9am-3pm
July 17-21; 9am-3pm
Learn about native bats, birds, bugs, and even seeds that fly as we search the gardens, forest, and ponds for nature's winged wonders. Campers will investigate the lives and habitats of our high-flying neighbors and enjoy hikes, games, stories, and crafts. Each session has 16 campers. *You can only register your child for one week of this camp theme.
Fee: $270 ($240 members)
NATURE DETECTIVES ages 8-10 *NEW
July 31-August 4; 9am-3pm
Grab your magnifier and dig in to the mysteries of the natural world! Campers will unravel some of nature’s secrets through discovery-based field experiences and hands-on experiments, take part in citizen science projects, and see how their observations can contribute to our understanding of the world around us. Learn how flowers talk to bees, search for animal tracks, scat and other clues, discover dragonflies and who eats who in the pond, and explore how people have used plants for medicine, tools and art for thousands of years. Session has 16 campers.
Fee: $270 ($240 members)
ART OF NATURE ages 8-12
Aug 7-11; 9am-12pm
Learn how nature illustrators sketch and color wildflowers, birds, and more while exploring the Garden with artist and naturalist Bob Palmatier. Campers will create their own works of art in watercolor, gouache, and colored pencil, and learn the techniques of professional nature illustrators. Each child will have a notebook of sketches, paintings, and a piece of their nature art matted for framing by week's end! Session has 12 campers.
Fee: $170 ($150 members), includes take-home art kit
Registration begins Wednesday, Feb 1 at 9:00 AM and is exclusively online.
REGISTER in 3 EASY STEPS:
1. Choose your camp: Use the camp descriptions to choose the session that matches your child's age level and your schedule.
2. Register Online:
- Access the online registration system via the yellow "Register Now" button after February 1, 2017 at 9:00 AM.
- Select the camp session from the calendar
- Create a login and password (if you don't have one already).
- Add your child as a registrant to your account by clicking on the “ Click Here to Add Another Registrant to Your Account” button. (If you do not do this, you will be registering yourself as an adult for camp!)
- Follow the prompts to register and pay.
- Need help? Please contact Elisha Taylor via email or call 919-537-3770.
3. Submit Required Forms: To finalize your registration, please complete and return the Camp Release Forms, also included in your registration confirmation email, immediately. The Garden reserves the right to cancel your registration if these forms are not submitted by the due date, . Your child cannot attend camp unless we receive these forms.
Please note: THESE ARE NOT REGISTRATION FORMS. Do not submit these forms until AFTER you have received a registration confirmation e-mail.
It’s easy to submit Camp Release Forms!
- Scan and email to: email@example.com
- Fax to ATTN: Elisha Taylor to 919-962-3531
- Hand-deliver to ATTN: Elisha Taylor to the Education Center reception desk during regular business hours
- Mail to: ATTN: Elisha Taylor, NC Botanical Garden, UNC-CH, CB 3357, Chapel Hill, NC 27599
- Registration is exclusively online. Phone or paper registrations are NOT accepted.
- Full payment is due at the time of registration.
- You must register your child for a camp planned for the age s/he will be by the first day of the camp session. There are NO EXCEPTIONS. Our programs are carefully designed to be age-appropriate.
- Children may not repeat any camp program of the same name in the same summer. This applies to “Sensing Nature” for ages 4-5 and “Things With Wings” for ages 6-7.
- No pro-rated daily rates are available.
- No refunds for missed days of camp.
- Membership fees and scholarship donations are non-refundable.
- Members at the “Household” level (not “Individual”) are eligible for discounted camp fees. If you register for camp as a member but do not have current membership, your registration is subject to cancellation and your fees refunded, minus a 20 percent administrative fee. Membership status is subject to verification.
If the camp you have selected is full, you may choose to join the waitlist during the online registration process. Please do not call or email. If a spot should open up for your child, you will receive a phone call and email immediately, offering you the position. We will wait 48 hours to hear a response from the first person on the waitlist before we contact subsequent families. Once the open spot is accepted, payment and registration for the summer camp will be due.
The Garden reserves the right to cancel a camp session if there is insufficient enrollment. If a session is cancelled, all fees, minus non-refundable membership fees, will be fully refunded.
To cancel your registration, click the cancellation link found in your original registration confirmation email, or submit your cancellation request in writing to Elisha Taylor via email.
The Garden depends on its members. Membership dues help us maintain current programs, pursue its mission as a conservation garden, and look toward future growth.
Members at the “Household” level (not “Individual”) are eligible for discounted camp fees. You must complete the membership process before you begin the camp registration process. There is no opportunity to become a member or renew your membership during the online camp registration process.
Download the Membership Form [PDF] to join or renew your membership. Print, complete, and either mail to the NCBG or hand-deliver to the Education Center. If you have questions about your membership status, please contact Allison Essen by email or call 919-962-0642.
NEED HELP or HAVE QUESTIONS?
For questions about registration, camp program, or medical issues, please contact Elisha Taylor via email or call 919-537-3770.
The Garden offers limited need-based scholarships to those who could not otherwise participate in camp. To apply, please submit the 2017 Camp Scholarship Application (available online end of January).
Donate to the CAMP SCHOLARSHIP FUND! Please help give all children the opportunity to experience summer camp and the wonders of nature! Donate online now!
Teen Counselors-in-Training (CIT)
The North Carolina Botanical Garden welcomes teen volunteers to serve as assistants to camp educators. CITs help with set-up and clean-up; preparing crafts and projects; and engaging children during nature hikes, games, crafts, and activities. Applicants must be rising 9-12 graders (or 15 years of age) and be able to assist with at least 2 weeks of camp. CITs participate in a mandatory orientation/training in early June. Being a CIT is a great opportunity to fulfill high school service-learning hour requirements and gain experience in environmental education!
To apply, please submit the 2017 CIT Application (available online end of January). High school students (not parents!) should complete the application and make any inquiries personally to the Camp Director. We will review applications and interview finalists in April/May. Please contact Elisha Taylor by email or call 919-537-3770 with questions.
Updated on January 16, 2017 at 09:53:32 pm.