- The Counselor-in-Training (CIT) program is open to students in rising grades 9-12 who have an interest in and enthusiasm for working with children in an outdoor setting and gaining experience in environmental education. CITs volunteer under the supervision of the Camp Director and Camp Educators to assist with week-long nature camps for children ages 4-10. Duties include engaging and overseeing children during camp activities, e.g. outdoor explorations, games, crafts, puppets shows; snack/lunch; set-up/clean-up, and aftercare. Service-learning hours granted.
- TIME COMMITMENT: Minimum of 2 weeks; 20-40 hours per week, depending on session
• Must be student in rising grades 9-12
• Enthusiasm for and experience working with children, especially ages 4-10
• Self-motivated, responsible, flexible, team player, positive attitude (sense of humor a plus!)
• Interest in science and nature
• Willingness to work outdoors in summer
• Must be able to attend mandatory camp training in late May/early June
• CITs must be fully vaccinated against COVID and adhere to camp safety protocols, which may include but are not limited to daily health screening, wearing a mask, and physical distancing.
- HOW TO APPLY: Complete application below. All fields required. Applications due April 1, 2022. Finalists will be contacted by email to schedule interviews in April.
Questions? Contact Elisha Taylor: firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-537-3770.
MM slash DD slash YYYY
*This is how we will contact you.
Please consider carefully which weeks that you will be available to volunteer this summer. Talk with your parent/guardian about your availability and be sure that you will have transportation for those weeks. The Garden requires that all CITs serve a minimum of two weeks. Extra weeks may be available. You may not be scheduled for some of the weeks you are available. See website for camp session descriptions: https://ncbg.unc.edu/learn/camp-flytrap/.
Please provide information for two people who know you well, and, preferably, who have seen you interact with children. Do not include family members.
Please Answer the Following Questions