Camp Flytrap 2021 registration opens February 8 at 12noon!
We are committed to the health and safety of our campers and staff. Camp will follow current state and federal health guidelines and implement a range of safety precautions to mitigate health risks. These include (but are not limited to): limiting the number of campers per session, requiring masks of campers and staff, daily health screening, increasing cleaning protocols, leaving windows and doors open to promote air flow, and spending as much time outdoors (of course, that’s what we do anyway!).
Families will receive ongoing communication about COVID-19 health and safety protocols before and during camp. Questions? Please contact Elisha Taylor.
Please note that all summer camps are subject to change or cancellation depending on COVID-19 restrictions. A full refund will be provided in the event of a cancellation.
Camp Flytrap Overview
Join us for a week of hands-on outdoor discovery and natural science learning on our beautiful campus — featuring native plant gardens, woodland trails, ponds, stream, and LEED-certified Education Center. Kids will explore the wonders of North Carolina plants, wildlife, and habitats through nature hikes, games, stories, arts/crafts, and more. Camps feature small group sizes (camper to staff ratio of 4:1), experienced environmental educators and naturalists, and loads of fun!
Our unique program is designed to:
- connect children to nature through direct experiences,
- foster respect and appreciation for the environment,
- cultivate a love for science-learning, and
- promote conservation ethics.
All camps offer a balance of indoor learning and outdoor field experiences designed and taught by staff educators, certified in CPR/First Aid, and supported by trained volunteer teen Counselors-in-Training (CIT).
June 14-18, 9:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m. (drop-off: 8:45-9:00 a.m.; pickup: 12:00-12:15 p.m.)
June 21-25; 9:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m. (drop-off: 8:45-9:00 a.m.; pickup: 12:00-12:15 p.m.)
June 28-July 2; 9:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m. (drop-off: 8:45-9:00 a.m.; pickup: 12:00-12:15 p.m.)
Curious young children will love this camp, designed to provide playful, hands-on experiences with the natural world in a small group setting. Campers will meet meat-eating plants, catch and release pond critters, learn about animal defenses, and discover how the sun powers all life in the garden. A new theme will be introduced each day through nature walks, crafts, stories, puppet shows, and group play. Each session is limited to 6 campers.
NOTE: Child must be age 4 by the first day of camp. No exceptions.
Fee: $170 ($153 members)
July 12-16; 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. (drop-off: 8:45-9:00 a.m.; pickup: 3:00-3:15 p.m.)
July 19-23; 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. (drop-off: 8:45-9:00 a.m.; pickup: 3:00-3:15 p.m.)
The garden, forest, and ponds are teeming with life in summer! From tadpoles to Venus fly traps, come discover the awesome diversity of plants and animals that call North Carolina home. Campers will investigate the life cycles, adaptations, and habitats of our native neighbors and learn how everything is connected in our wonderful “backyard”. Each session is limited to 8 campers.
Fee: $340 ($306 members)
Aug 2-6; 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. (drop-off: 8:45-9:00 a.m.; pickup: 3:00-3:15 p.m.)
Aug 9-13; 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. (drop-off: 8:45-9:00 a.m.; pickup: 3:00-3:15 p.m.)
Grab your magnifier and dig in to the mysteries of the natural world! Campers will unravel nature’s secrets through hands-on field experiences and experiments, take part in citizen science projects, and see how their observations can contribute to our understanding of the world around us. Each session is limited to 8 campers.
Fee: $340 ($306 members)
Thanks to generous donations, the Garden offers partial scholarships to those children who otherwise could not participate in camp. Scholarship application deadline has been extended to March 26!
Help connect children with nature by supporting our Camp Scholarship Program.
Camp Registration + Policies
- Registration opens Feb 8, 2020 at 12 noon.
- Registration is exclusively online and first-come, first-served.
- You can register more than one child in a single online session. (See Pro-Tips below!)
- Full payment is due at the time of registration.
- Your child can participate only in those camps designed for the ages listed for each session. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Your child can participate in a camp of the same name only once during the summer. For example, a camper cannot register for “Habitat Explorers” more than once.
- No pro-rated daily rates are available.
- No refunds for missed days of camp.
- Members at the “Household” level (not “Individual”) are eligible for 10% off camp fees. You must be an active member before you register for camp. There is no opportunity to become a member or renew membership during registration. If you register as a member but do not have current membership, your registration is subject to cancellation and your fees refunded, minus a 20% administrative fee. Membership status is subject to verification. Sign up to become a member or renew your membership today!
- Look for a confirmation email after you complete registration. If you do not receive this email within 30 minutes, please check your spam filter.
- Don’t wait to register! Space is very limited this year and camps sell out fast. Your best bet is to register at 12noon.
- Get your registration login/password ready! Don’t have an account yet? Save valuable time by setting one up before Feb 8 — click “Create Account” in top right corner HERE. Forgot your login/password? Reset it — click “Login” in the top right corner HERE and select “Forgot Your Login ID and/or Password?”.
- Be sure to add your child as a registrant to your account by selecting the “Click Here to Add Another Registrant to Your Account” button once you’ve signed in. (If you don’t do this, you’ll register yourself as an adult for camp!)
- Get 10% off! Household members receive a discounted rate, but you must become a member or renew your membership BEFORE registering your child for camp. There is no opportunity to do so during the registration process.
If the camp you have selected is full, we encourage you to join the waitlist during online registration. You will be notified if a space comes available. Full payment is due upon acceptance.
- If you cancel your registration before May 21, 2021, you are eligible for a refund of the camp fee minus a $50 processing charge per camp session.
- If you cancel on or after May 21, 2021, you are not eligible for any refund. If we are alerted as soon as possible of a child’s illness or family emergency before camp begins, we will do our best to provide a refund, minus the $50 processing fee.
- Membership fees are non-refundable.
- The Garden reserves the right to cancel a camp session if there is insufficient enrollment. If a session is cancelled, all fees, minus non-refundable membership fees, will be fully refunded.
To cancel your registration, select the cancellation link found in your original registration confirmation email, or submit your cancellation request in writing to the Registrar.
TEEN COUNSELOR-IN-TRAINING (CIT)
Due to COVID-19, we will not be offering this opportunity in 2021.
The Counselor-in-Training (CIT) program is open to students in rising grades 9-12 who have an interest in and enthusiasm for working with children in an outdoor setting and gaining experience in environmental education. CITs are part of the camp staff and volunteer under the supervision of the Camp Director and Garden Educators to assist with week-long nature camps for children ages 4-10. Responsibilities include engaging and overseeing children during camp activities (hands-on outdoor explorations, games, crafts, etc.), set-up and cleanup, and assisting with after care. Being a CIT is a great opportunity to fulfill high school service-learning hour requirements and gain experience in environmental education!
“This is my son’s hands-down favorite summer experience. The educators are great and he loves the activities.”
“It was just lovely. I’ve already raved to anyone who would listen about the great time my child had. We’ll definitely be back next year!”