Due to the ongoing COVID-19 health crisis, the Garden has made the difficult decision to cancel all of our 2020 summer camp sessions.
While we are deeply disappointed to cancel our camp season, we will continue to explore opportunities to offer programs that engage and connect children with the natural world. Check out our current offering of nature activities, citizen science projects, and more on our Not Stuck Inside – Kids Edition webpage.
Join us for a week of hands-on outdoor discovery and natural science learning on our beautiful campus — featuring native plant gardens, woodland trails, ponds, stream, and LEED-certified Education Center. Kids will explore the wonders of North Carolina plants, wildlife, and habitats through nature hikes, games, stories, arts/crafts, and more. Camps feature small group sizes (camper to staff ratio of 4:1), experienced environmental educators and naturalists, and loads of fun!
Our unique program is designed to:
- connect children to nature through direct experiences,
- foster respect and appreciation for the environment,
- cultivate a love for science-learning, and
- promote conservation ethics.
All camps offer a balance of indoor learning and outdoor field experiences designed and taught by staff educators, certified in CPR/First Aid, and supported by trained volunteer teen Counselors-in-Training (CIT).
NEW for 2020!
- Camps are now based on grade instead of age. Choose the camp below that matches the grade your child will enter in FALL 2020.
- We’ve added an additional session for 1st-2nd Grade.
- Extended Care is now $35 (for camps ending at 3:00 p.m. only).
- Nature Explorers Summer Camp is now… CAMP FLYTRAP! Why? Because North Carolina is home (native only to a 90-mile inland area around Wilmington) to one of the world’s most amazing plants and natural treasures – the carnivorous VENUS FLYTRAP!
CANCELLED - GARDEN SAFARI
June 8-12, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
June 15-19, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
June 22-26, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Curious young children will love this camp, designed to provide playful, hands-on experiences with the natural world in a small group setting. Campers will meet meat-eating plants, catch and release pond critters, learn about animal defenses, and discover how the sun powers all life in the garden. A new theme will be introduced each day through nature walks, crafts, stories, puppet shows, and group play. Healthy snack included. Each session has 10 campers.
NOTE: Child must be age 4 by the first day of camp. No exceptions.
Fee: $170 ($153 members)
CANCELLED – HABITAT EXPLORERS
July 6-10; 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
July 13-17; 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
July 20-24; 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
The garden, forest, and ponds are teeming with life in summer! From tadpoles to Venus fly traps, come discover the awesome diversity of plants and animals that call North Carolina home. Campers will investigate the life cycles, adaptations, and habitats of our native neighbors and learn how everything is connected in our wonderful “backyard”. Each session has 16 campers.
Fee: $340 ($306 members)
CANCELLED – NATURE DETECTIVES
August 3-7; 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
August 10-14; 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Grab your magnifier and dig in to the mysteries of the natural world! Campers will unravel nature’s secrets through hands-on field experiences and experiments, take part in citizen science projects, and see how their observations can contribute to our understanding of the world around us. Each session has 16 campers.
Fee: $340 ($306 members)
REGISTRATION INFORMATION + POLICIES
- Registration opens Feb 3, 2020 at 12 noon.
- Registration is exclusively online.
- You can register more than one child in a single online session.
- Full payment is due at the time of registration.
- Your child can participate only in those camps designed for the grade level s/he will enter in Fall 2020. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Your child can participate in a camp of the same name only once during the summer. For example, a camper cannot register for “Habitat Explorers” more than once.
- No pro-rated daily rates are available.
- No refunds for missed days of camp.
- Members at the “Household” level (not “Individual”) are eligible for 10% off camp fees. You must be an active member before you register for camp. There is no opportunity to become a member or renew membership during registration. If you register as a member but do not have current membership, your registration is subject to cancellation and your fees refunded, minus a 20% administrative fee. Membership status is subject to verification. Sign up to become a member or renew your membership today!
- Look for a confirmation email after you complete registration. If you do not receive this email within 30 minutes, please check your spam filter.
- To finalize your registration, you must complete and return your Camp Forms within TWO WEEKS of your registration date. You will receive a link to Camp Forms in your confirmation email. You can also access the forms below.
- Don’t wait to register! Space is limited and camps sell out fast. Your best bet is to register at 12noon.
- Get your registration login/password ready! Don’t have an account yet? Save valuable time by setting one up before Feb 3 — click “Create Account” in top right corner HERE. Forgot your login/password? Reset it — click “Login” in the top right corner HERE and select “Forgot Your Login ID and/or Password?”.
- Be sure to add your child as a registrant to your account by selecting the “Click Here to Add Another Registrant to Your Account” button once you’ve signed in. (If you don’t do this, you’ll register yourself as an adult for camp!)
- Get 10% off! Household members receive a discounted rate, but you must become a member or renew your membership BEFORE registering your child for camp. There is no opportunity to do so during the registration process.
Fee: $35 per week; Time: 3:00-5:00 p.m.
Extended Care is open to campers enrolled in full-day camps (ending at 3:00 p.m.): Habitat Explorers and Nature Detectives. Extended care includes snack (provided by family), games, quiet time for reading, and exploring the children’s garden and Discovery Room. You can add Extended Care during online registration or up until one week prior to your camp start date by contacting Elisha Taylor, Youth + Family Education Manager.
If the camp you have selected is full, we encourage you to join the waitlist during online registration. You will be notified if a space comes available. Full payment is due upon acceptance.
- If you cancel on or before April 20, 2020, your camp fee is fully refundable minus a $50 administrative fee per camp.
- If you cancel after April 20, 2020, but before May 22, 2020, you will receive a 50% refund of the camp fee minus a $50 administrative fee per camp.
If you cancel on or after May 22, 2020, you are not eligible for any refund.
Camp refund policies apply to extended care fees.
Membership fees and scholarship donations are non-refundable.
The Garden reserves the right to cancel a camp session if there is insufficient enrollment. If a session is cancelled, all fees, minus non-refundable membership fees, will be fully refunded.
To cancel your registration, select the cancellation link found in your original registration confirmation email, or submit your cancellation request in writing to the Registrar.
TEEN COUNSELOR-IN-TRAINING (CIT)
The Counselor-in-Training (CIT) program is open to students in rising grades 9-12 who have an interest in and enthusiasm for working with children in an outdoor setting and gaining experience in environmental education. CITs are part of the camp staff and volunteer under the supervision of the Camp Director and Garden Educators to assist with week-long nature camps for children ages 4-10. Responsibilities include engaging and overseeing children during camp activities (hands-on outdoor explorations, games, crafts, etc.), set-up and cleanup, and assisting with after care. Being a CIT is a great opportunity to fulfill high school service-learning hour requirements and gain experience in environmental education!