Visiting the Garden
Our main display gardens in Chapel Hill are open. We ask that you follow standard safety precautions to help us keep our gardens open and safe for everyone.
Keep your distance. Stay at least six feet from other visitors, staff, and volunteers whenever possible.
Bring a mask. They’re required indoors, including to use the restroom. Masks are not required outdoors, but they’re still recommended if you’re unable to maintain six feet of distance from others.
Do not visit if you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19.See the full list of symptoms on the CDC website.
Know Before You Go
It’s free to visit the Garden, no reservation necessary. Please note that while leashed pets are welcome on the Piedmont Nature Trails outside the gates, no pets are allowed inside the main garden gates.
- 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays
- 1-5 p.m. Sundays
- Closed Mondays and University holidays
- Twilight Thursdays: Every Thursday evening this summer, we’ll be open until 8 p.m. Learn more about Twilight Thursdays.
What to expect when going in the Allen Education Center
- Face covering required: ages 5 and up
- No eating or drinking inside the building
- Maximum occupancy: 20 people
- Please limit your time inside to ~30 minutes so others may visit
- Our main parking lot closes with the Garden at 5 p.m.
- We have a picnic area with designated waste and recycle bins, and a new seating area near our Daily Plant Sale pavilion.
What to bring
- A mask or other face covering
- Bug spray