The Carolina Community Garden (or the CCG, formerly known as the Carolina Campus Community Garden) is an engagement program of the North Carolina Botanical Garden on the UNC Chapel Hill campus. We grow vegetables and fruit so all University employees can have access to fresh, sustainably-grown produce. We serve as a learning community for developing gardening skills, healthy living, social responsibility, and interdisciplinary academic pursuits. Our work is made possible by the shared efforts of staff, students, faculty, and local residents.
Where We Are
We’re located at 212 Wilson Street in Chapel Hill, directly off of Cameron Avenue and near the Carolina Inn.
We distribute our produce to UNC’s lower wage workers on designated distribution days. Most of the employees receiving CCG produce are University housekeepers.
Volunteer with Us
We welcome all UNC staff, faculty, students and community members to help us grow vegetables and fruit. Don’t know how to garden? No problem! Many of our volunteers were new to gardening when they started. Learn more about volunteering on our Volunteer Workdays page.
We accept donations of compost, now in a hands-free receptacle outside the garden. We accept fruit and veggie scraps, breads and grains, egg shells, coffee grounds, coffee filters, tea bags, and old flower arrangements.
We cannot accept meat or dairy products, leftover cooked food, paper products, non-biodegradable waste, grass clippings, yard waste, or commercially compostable items like compostable bags, plates, or boxes. Use this handy graphic as a reference!
CCG Advisory Committee
- Faydene Alston, Housekeeping, Day Porter
- Alice Ammerman, Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
- Katelyn Ander, Undergraduate Library
- Becca Beechhold, Carolina Community Garden
- Carol Enarson, Neighbor, Orange County Master Gardener
- Becca Goodson, Aveda Institute-Chapel Hill
- James Holman, Housekeeping, Third Shift, Employee Forum Delegate
- Sarah Ithipathachai, Undergraduate student
- Joanna Massey Lelekacs, North Carolina Botanical Garden
- Claire Lorch, Carolina Community Garden
- Arlene Medder, Auxiliary Enterprises, Employee Forum Delegate
- John O’Sullivan, Neighbor, Retired Agricultural Economist
- Kyle Parker, Edible Campus
- Da’mel Rose, Housekeeping, Training Coordinator
- Jill Sharpe, Aveda Institute-Chapel Hill
Support the CCG
There are several ways to give to the Carolina Community Garden. We welcome gifts of cash or in-kind materials. Your support makes this opportunity available to more members of our campus community. All contributions will be gratefully acknowledged and may be tax deductible.
Donate Online: Click here to give.
Donate by Check: Use our Contact Us form to find out how to donate by check.
Donate Garden Items: Use our Contact Us form if you have tools, seeds, or other items that may be helpful to our community effort.